Meeting Minutes, 

Mini Stories & More

Updated: Jul 8, 2019


Present: J. Kilgo, J. Bailey, C. Poole, M. Moyer, G. Moyer, T. Hardin, D. Cason, K. Tegen, S. Gilbert, D. Bradley


Not Present: Chelsea Rush, S. Rzonca, B. Teague, S. Webber, D. Barrick, B. Yelton, C. Francis, J. Chapman, K. Powell, S. Weeks


Others Present: E. Ostertag


 Litter Pick-up committee update was given by Dana Bradley

o Next p/u of year to be held in October 10-13

o There were 634 participants in the April pick up

o Over 500 volunteer hours

o 620 bags of trash were collected

o 5.73 tons of trash was reported by county collections


 Marketing Committee update was given by Jenna Bailey

o Moyers did the outreach for the pick up

o Daily FB posts were done prior to pick up

o Sign-up genius was used for the registration for pick up

o An article appeared in the Daily Courier

o Email Blasts were sent

o The suggestion of a “Trash Bowl” akin to the “Super Bowl” was suggested for fall for HS

students

o It was suggested that the Courier run a weekly or bi-weekly article about the different

clean up groups


 Administrative Committee meeting update was presented by Don Cason

o Need to establish county-wide litter policies

o Doug presented a funding proposal to town managers

o Need to form a 501C3 (Karen will try to contact Wake Forest Law to do pro-bono work


 Action Items:

o Committee voted unanimously to allow the use of “On behalf of the entire KRCB

Committee” on any future mailings/official forms

o Committee voted to approve 2019-2020 Budget with the stipulation that funds

may be able to be transferred between line items


 Next meeting date determined: June 6th at 2:00 pm at the Woodrow Jones Bldg. Community Room

8 views0 comments

Present: C. Poole, J. Bailey, C. Rush


Absent: S. Rzonca


Others Present: K. Tegen


It is suggested that area businesses be able to donate money/items as incentives for students who participate in litter cleanups.

o Clark recommended certificates be given to students as recognition

o Jenna suggested that companies could earn a recognition patch that would go on Roxi’s uniform

o The committee reviewed the student participation form.

o Chelsea suggested that parents—or students who are old enough—post their participation on Facebook (and to develop a hashtag for social media usage)


A discussion was held on how to get students to participate.

o Chelsea outlined some of the parameters of getting students out in the community to participate on school time: bus costs, roadway safety issues, permission slips, missing school, etc.)

o Competitions were suggested, club participation was recommended

o Chelsea suggested the beginning of the school year would be best to enlist High School student participations and competitions. Roxi could show up for football kick-off season.


A “Trash Bowl” competition was suggested for which a High School could claim the title.

o Spring would be best for Elementary and Middle Schoolers

o Clark suggests t-shirts reading “First-Responder” sponsored by local companies.

o Weekly shout-out to area businesses for cleanliness was recommended

o Chelsea will ask whether students are allowed stickers on their laptop cases

o ICC Students and High School AP students could get involved in designing stickers

o ICC Broadcasting and Production students could do promo videos for KCRB and use them in their graduation portfolios

o Marketing Committee will be creating and sending out in individual property tax mailings, flyers regarding litter clean up

o Chelsea recommended that the Rutherford County Schools Education Foundation may be able to temporarily house any KRCB donation money until a 501C3 is formed

o Clark recommends that the KRCB Policy committee approve that any budget monies may be able to be moved around from one item to another if needed

o Jenna gave an overview of her budget recommendations


Action Items:


o Move forward with the “Trash Bowl” for high school students and staff. Kick it off county-wide and have an event at possibly Owls Stadium where students bring the collected trash. Games and prizes would be given to the winner school teams. Categories could include most trash collected, most recycling collected, mascot games winner. Dates need to be determined asap.

o If the budget allows, apparel needs to be produced for participants and volunteers that take part in the litter pickups or other Keep RC Beautiful initiatives

o Following the Spring Litter Sweep, we want to release short stories and imagery about individual teams that participated on a weekly or bi-weekly basis. These would be sent to Daily Courier, Rutherford Weekly, the Catalyst and on our facebook page.

o We need to know when the deadline is for being included in the yearly tax mailing and whom to contact

o We need to present the budget for 19-20 at the next large committee meeting and get it approved before June 30th

o ICC needs to be contacted about Fall contest possibilities for their graphics program


Meeting concluded at 11:15 am


Date, Time, and Location of next meeting TBD

©Keep Rutherford County Beautiful

PO Box 834

Rutherfordton, NC 28139
Proudly Created by Artifacturing